History

The Ukrainian Catholic community has been coming together to celebrate the divine liturgy since the early 1950’s. Soon after the establishment of the Immaculate Conception parish in San Francisco in 1957, the St. Volodymyr mission soon followed. Starting with the first divine liturgy which was celebrated on July 28th 1963, the Feast of St. Volodymyr, this mission parish has served the faithful of the South Bay for nearly fifty years.

San Francisco Parish 50th Anniversary

BayAreaUkrainiansA brief hisotry of Ukrainians in the San Francisco Bay Area can be viewed here. This document was published in 1997 in recognition of the 40th anniversary of the Ukrainian Catholic Community in Northern California and recounts the growth of the Ukrainian Catholic community in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 20th century. The text is in both English and Ukrainian.
(click image to access pdf)

 

 

 

 

 

20233221

An additional summary of the history of the Ukrainian Catholic parishes in Northern California, written in 1986, can also be found here. The text is in Ukrainian with a forward by the Very Reverend Canon Andrew Mykyta.
(click image to access pdf)